Exploring volcanoes: Surabaya-Bromo-Ijen-Surabaya
Book “Exploring Volcanoes”
Fill out the form below to calculate the cost of the tour
3 DAYS ADVENTURE TOUR to fantastic Bromo and Kawah Ijen volcanos
This trip is for those who want to experience unforgettable emotions, see how nature can show its beauty in the most incredible way, find yourself as an explorer and go through one of the most breath-taking and incredible adventures in your life.
Due to our travelers’ feedback, it will be one of the most memorable things in your life.
So let`s start it
The journey starts at sea level and gradually brings you up to an altitude of 2,300 meters. During this trip, you will climb stunning active volcanoes, dance at the edge of the calderas and descend into the Kawah Ijen crater to witness its magical “blue flames”, a unique phenomenon, as well as the largest sulfur acid lake in the world. You will also be able to observe the daily lives of the sulfur mine workers within the crater.
You will see much more than volcanoes
Over three days and two nights, you will get acquainted with the local culture and have the chance to visit typical Javanese villages, see coffee plantations, try traditional local food and witness the incredible beauty of your surroundings.
WHY VISIT BROMO AND KAWAH IJEN?
To witness an epic sunrise from the grandiose caldera of the Tenger-Bromo super volcano
To hear the roar of the Earth while balancing on the edge of an active volcano crater
To discover unforgettable otherworldly landscapes
Things you might miss out on if you travel to Java on your own
Let’s share some thoughts regarding the independent visit of Bromo and Kawah Ijen.
We are a team of adventurers, and it goes without saying that we love to travel on our own. However, when discovering an unknown and potentially accident-prone site for the first time, caution is required in preparing such an endeavor. In this region of Java, you will struggle to understand and be understood, even when it comes to the basics, since English speakers are rare and far between (and French, Russian and other languages are not at all represented).
Though certain independent travelers and bloggers have managed to organize trips without encountering major problems, it must be understood that this is not a reflection of the potential risks linked to active volcano visits, which require both knowledge and experience to plan. Having been able to make the trip on one’s own without running into problems does not take anything away from the hazardousness of undertaking such an endeavor alone and/or without any experience. “Driving a motorcycle without a helmet does not systematically lead to the death of the reckless person driving, but should that person wipe out, the potential risk would be dramatic!” recounts the wise Indonesian man in charge of preparing the climbing equipment.
To minimize the risks linked to volcanic excursions and substantially save both time and money, it is essential that you be supported by a team that perfectly knows the region, its customs and languages, as well as its norms and culture.
Let us be the guide that will take care of every single important organizational detail of your visit, and that will allow you to make this tour into a truly unforgettable human adventure.
- We are familiar with every inch of the Bromo and Kawah Ijen, their surroundings, their dangers… but also every man that works and lives there. Our professional guides will take you to the best places at the best times, to witness the best views, while choosing the safest routes and sharing their deep knowledge of the volcanoes, their history and their geology.
- We organize tours in a way that guarantees your comfort and safety. Each member of our team is perfectly trained to react professionally and provide you with appropriate help during whatever situation is encountered during the excursion.
- We will take care of every detail of your adventure so that you are able to focus on yourself and the feelings generated by the experience.
Beyond our passion for volcanoes, we organize our trips in a professional and secure manner, while seeking to provide you with the utmost comfort. Our outstanding guides will accompany you along the entire hike, taking care of all of the organizational issues and sharing their know-how, knowledge and experience with you along the way.
We do our best to be that magic friend who will turn your trip into the real adventure of a lifetime. Apart from our passion to volcanoes, we arrange the trips that are professionally managed, comfortable and safe. Our outstanding guide will accompany you along the whole hike, taking care about all organizational issues and sharing diverse knowledge and experience about everything you might see on the way.
“3 days to Java” Special Surabaya Bromo Kawah Ijen Surabaya
Day 1: Surabaya (Java) Airport at 6pm:departure to Bromo.
Day 2: Bromo hike, transfer and night on the way to Kawah Ijen.
Day 3: Kawah Ijen hike then to back to Surabaya Airport or city (4/5 pm)
Day 1 – Transfer from Surabaya Airport (6.00pm)
We start our trip at dawn in a comfortable car or minibus at Surabaya airport (pick-up also available from the Probolinggo (Java) railway station around 9 pm.) After a few hours driving through Javanese landscapes.
We will arrive to the last village of the Bromo site in the late afternoon (altitude of 2,300 m), have a local dinner (take away), and enjoy some free time to rest before the night climb.
Day 2 – Meeting the Bromo
Our journey begins with a 3 a.m. wake-up call and departure aboard an off-road 4x4 jeep. We will climb to the top of the Tenger-Bromo caldera to reach the “King-Kong” viewpoint (altitude of 2,650 m.)
At the viewpoint platform, we will witness a stunning sunrise over the following volcanoes:
Bromo (active, altitude of 2,300 m)
Batok (dormant, altitude of 2,400 m)
Semeru (active and erupting, altitude of 3,677 m, the tallest volcano in Java)
After enjoying the beautiful view (and depending on the weather conditions), we will cross the “sea of sand” (mostly made up of the volcanic ashes and debris of prior eruptions) and head to the sacred Hindu temples at the foot of the spectacular Bromo and Batok volcanoes.
Making our way around the temples dedicated to the gods living inside the crater, we will go up a steep and narrow path and climb 250 steps to reach the top of the Bromo. Only then, stunned by the sounds coming from the entrails of the Earth, and in the cold of the night, will we be able to experience the beauty of the smoking crater, its sulfur vapors emanating from the depths of the volcano. A truly unforgettable moment!
After exploring this extraordinary volcanic site, we will continue on our adventure, witnessing magnificent landscapes, traditional villages, various plantations (coffee, tobacco, rice, etc.), and authentic moments of the Javanese lifestyle in this beautiful volcanic region. We will enjoy a meal of local delicacies before making our way to the hotel.
Day 3 – Conquering the Kawah Ijen
Departure at 11 p.m. (day 2) for a 2-hour transfer to the Kawah Ijen base camp. After receiving instructions on safety and following the allocation of the necessary equipment (lamps, gas masks, etc.), we will start the climb at around 1 a.m. Our experienced and professional guides will lead you along a beautiful mountain path under the starry sky in order to reach the top of the crater (altitude of 2,300 m). It will take us between 1:30 and 2 hours to reach the top.
Once at the top of the crater, the most exciting part begins: we will descend, in complete darkness, into the crater of the active volcano to witness the unique phenomenon of the “blue flames”.
Our guides, principally made up of former sulfur miners and porters and therefore very knowledgeable about the crater, will help you descend safely. They will exercise constant vigilance and make sure you are using the protective masks appropriately, providing you with constant help and guidance within this extremely spectacular environment.
At around 5 a.m., watching the sun rise above the largest acid lake in the world will complete this extraordinary adventure. We will take the time to appreciate the surreal scene surrounding us, enjoying the sunrise above the stunning turquoise lake while watching the brave workers carry huge sulfur blocks on their shoulders up to the crater rim!
Around 6-7 a.m., we will descend from this incredible location and head back to the base camp (altitude of 1,900 m). In the light of day, you will be able to appreciate the beautiful trail that led to the caldera of the stratovolcano. Filled with its energy and the morning’s unique impressions, we will gently make our way down the slopes of the volcano and enjoy a breakfast at base camp.
Upon returning, we can guarantee that you will feel physically tired, but that this feeling will quickly pass and give way to the joy of the new memories you will get to cherish for the rest of your life.
Book a spot
To take part in this adventure, all you need to do is check the dates and the rates, and register for the tour as quickly as possible before spots run out.
As the number of seats is limited, it is recommended that you reserve your spot as early as possible.
Tour rates: 3 days in Java (per person)
1 participant: US$ 295; €270; RP 4 490 000
2 or more participants : US$ 270; €240; RP 3 950 000
Private trips, special requests & other questions
Whether you are planning a non-standard trip (in terms of the date, place of pick up or drop off, specific needs or preferences, etc.), you prefer to travel independently and not within a group, or your budget doesn’t allow you to take part in our extraordinary tour, contact us so that we may find an alternative option for you.
Send us an inquiry and we will do our best to meet your expectations.
The tour package includes:
- Transportation (comfortable car or minibus);
- Legal insurance for tourist activity;
- Ferry (return ticket);
- Entrances fees (Bromo, Kawah Ijen);
- Jeep and driver at Bromo;
- Professional guide service;
- Provision of lamps, masks, respirators, gloves, and warm clothes;
- Accommodation at Bromo and Kawah Ijen. Based on 2 people minimum sharing(local standard, hot water at Bromo but not at Kawah Ijen, towels, and soap are not provided);
- Meals and drinks (organic, local Javanese cuisine) pre-ordered according our experience and cant be change. Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required. Food and drinks for your personal choice outside of pre-ordered meals are not include and have to be paid separately.
First day – dinner .
Second day – breakfast, lunch and dinner (picnic format).
Third day – Breakfast at Base camp, Lunch.
The tour package excludes:
- Your own insurance;
- Food and drinks outside of meals;
- Personal expenses;
- Tips for guides and drivers.
The consumption of alcohol is strictly prohibited during the trip.
Altitude temperatures at the top of the volcanoes (2,300 m) can range from +2 to +25 degrees. We therefore highly recommend that you come adequately equipped.
- You will need a pair of sports or hiking shoes and warm clothes (jacket, rainwear, sweatshirt, fleece, beanie, etc.) You will also need to bring some toiletries with you (tissues and toilet paper).
- There will be a variety of local winter hats on sale at the Bromo base camp, available at very low prices.
- Additional items will be provided for free upon request: jackets, lamps, protective masks, scarves, gloves, hats and rainwear.
- Even though you are covered by our tourism insurance, we strongly advise that you be individually insured under a personal travel insurance.
- No additional costs; you only need to cover your own personal expenses, food and drinks outside of meals, and tips for drivers and guides.
- Our company is guided by safety and prevention objectives, and we reserve the right to act at our discretion and in an appropriate manner in the event of unforeseen situations that may arise during the trip. Amounts already paid for the trip cannot be returned.
- In the event of an eruption or risk of eruption, or of any natural reason "outside our control", the decisions taken by the members or the management of the company will not be able in any case to generate a refund of the sums committed, the company cannot be responsible for these events.
- All routing information is given as an indication and can be modified without notice depending on the circumstances, weather conditions, local availability and any needs for change.
The consumption of alcohol is strictly prohibited during the trip.
By signing up for this tour, you are accepting (or even seeking) to be taken out of your “comfort zone”, an inevitable part of any trip to Java.
Meeting and departure point
Restaurant Soto Bangkalan
Jl. Ir. H. Juanda, Segoro Tambak, Sedati, Kabupaten Sidoarjo.
Possibility of pick up at Trains station Subeng (no additional cost).
Meeting time: 6 pm (18h00) (Day 1)
Arival time: around 3 pm ( 15h00) ( Day3)
Please indicate your preference when filling out the registration and reservation forms.
*For children under the age of 14, our guides will decide, depending on volcanic and weather conditions, whether they are allowed to descend into the crater. (However, the access to the top of the volcano is unregulated.)
If you have any type of special request, please send us a message and we will get back to you as quickly as possible in order to meet your specific needs.