24 hours at Kawah Ijen
Fill out the form below to calculate the cost of the tour
“24 hours at Kawah Ijen” is an incredible trip to the most breathtaking volcano in Indonesia.
Prepare to go on a non-stop adventure to the most unique place on Earth! Just imagine yourself climbing under the stars up to the volcano crater and then making your way down to witness the mesmerizing and unique “blue flames” phenomenon and the extraction of sulfur in the mine.
Imagine yourself admiring the world’s largest volcanic acid lake while witnessing a beautiful sunrise from inside the volcano! You will remember these moments for the rest of your life!
A delicious traditional breakfast will be prepared for you by a Javanese family in the village on the flanks of the volcano.
You may miss a lot if you travel to Java on your own. Read more here.
No prepayment required
Unique adventure in 24 hours
Solo travellers are welcome
Start & finish at Bali
Language - English
Private trip available on request
Vegetarian meal on request
Tourist insurance included
Why go visit the Kawah Ijen?
- To discover and to approach the unique and magical "blue flames" within an active volcano.
- To admire the sunrise over the largest acid lake in the world.
- To share with the sulfur miners, the terrifying conditions of their labour within the volcano.
Part 1 – Transfer to Java
We will start our trip in the afternoon (1:00 p.m.) in a comfortable car or minibus from South Bali (possibility of pick up in Ubud around 2:00 p.m.)
After a few hours driving through Balinese landscapes, we will take a ferry to Java and continue on our way through traditional Javanese landscapes.
We will arrive at the Kawah Ijen base camp at an altitude of 1,900 m around midnight, where we will meet our guides, receive instructions and be provided with headlights and masks.
Part 2 – Night hike
Our ascent will start around 1 a.m. Our experienced guides will lead us along the beautiful mountain road under the starry sky.
It will take us approximately 1 and a half to 2 hours to get to the top of the volcano crater.
Part 3 – Conquering the volcano crater
Once we get to the top of the volcano (2,300 m), the most exciting part awaits us. In complete darkness and armed only with torches, we will descend into the crater of the active volcano to witness the unique phenomenon known as the “blue flames”.
Our guides, made up of former sulfur mine bearers and miners, will help everyone complete a slow descent to the entrails of the earth in a safe manner.
Take your time to relax and adjust yourself to this surreal scene: enjoy the sunrise over the world’s largest, stunning turquoise acid lake, and witness the labor of the workers carrying huge sulfur blocks on their shoulders up to the crater rim.
Part 4 – Daylight scenery on the way back
Around 6-7 a.m., we will start our descent back to the base camp. Our first challenge was making our way up to the crater rim; the second challenge is completing the descent of the stratovolcano through forest paths.
Part 5 – Breakfast and drive back to Bali
Full of energy and unforgettable memories, we will start our drive back to Bali.
On the way, we will stop to enjoy a delicious buffet-style Javanese breakfast prepared by a local family living on the flanks of the volcano. After the ferry ride from Java to Bali, we will arrive back to the starting point of our incredible journey around 5-6 p.m.
Upon returning, we can guarantee that you will feel physically tired, but this will quickly pass, leaving you to enjoy the unforgettable and lifelong memories you have made.
Tour rates: 24h to Kawah Ijen
To take part in this adventure, all you need to do is check the dates and the rates, and register for the tour as quickly as possible before spots run out.
As the number of seats is limited, it is recommended that you reserve your spot as early as possible.
|Price per 1 person||IDR 1 890 000 or 120€ or 130$|
No additional costs, except for your own personal needs and tips for drivers and guides.
The tour package includes
Transportation comfortable car or minibus
Insurance for tourist activity
Ferry two-way ticket
Entrances fee Kawah Ijen
Free provision of necessary equipment (lamps, masks, respirators, gloves, and warm clothes)
Professional guide service
Meals and drinks: оrganic, local.
Pre-ordered according to our experience and cant be changed. A vegetarian option is available, please advise at the time of booking if required.
Day 2: Javanese breakfast "all you can eat".
The tour package excludes
Your own insurance
Food and drinks outside of meals
Tips for guides and drivers.
Private trips, special requests & other questions
Whether you are planning a non-standard trip (in terms of the date, place of pick up or drop off, specific needs or preferences, etc.), you prefer to travel independently and not within a group, or your budget doesn’t allow you to take part in our extraordinary tour, contact us so that we may find an alternative option for you.
*available at Denpasar, Kuta, Seminyak, Canggu, Ubud, Munduk, Pemuteran. For other places, on request.
|1 or 2 persons: IDR 5 990 000rp, 390€ or 450$||3 persons: IDR 8 390 000rp, 550€ or 590$|
|4 persons: IDR 9 990 000rp, 660€ or 720$||for more than 4 persons, please send a request|
Things to bring with you:
Volcanic temperatures can range from +2 to +25 degrees. That’s why we highly recommend that you think about your own comfort in advance. Consider bringing the following:
- a pair of sports or hiking shoes;
- warm clothes (long pants, scarf, jacket, beanie, hat);
- an extra set of clothes to change into after the hike (T-shirt, socks, etc.);
- rainwear and wet wipes (you can buy these in any store or gas station);
- a cap, a hat or a beanie;
- a small backpack for the climb;
- an ID card (or a copy).
*Masks, respirators, gloves, lamps and warm clothes will be provided for free before the climb.
Altitude temperatures at the top of the volcanoes (2,300 m) can range from +2 to +25 degrees. We therefore highly recommend that you come adequately equipped.
- You will need a pair of sports or hiking shoes and warm clothes (jacket, rainwear, sweatshirt, fleece, beanie, etc.) You will also need to bring some toiletries with you (tissues and toilet paper).
- There will be a variety of local winter hats on sale at the Bromo base camp, available at very low prices.
- Additional items will be provided for free upon request: jackets, lamps, protective masks, scarves, gloves, hats and rainwear.
- Even though you are covered by our tourism insurance, we strongly advise that you be individually insured under personal travel insurance.
- No additional costs; you only need to cover your own personal expenses, food, and drinks outside of meals, and tips for drivers and guides.
- Our company is guided by safety and prevention objectives, and we reserve the right to act at our discretion and in an appropriate manner in the event of unforeseen situations that may arise during the trip. The amounts already paid for the trip cannot be returned.
- In the event of an eruption or risk of eruption, or of any natural reason "outside our control", the decisions taken by the members or the management of the company will not be able in any case to generate a refund of the sums committed, the company cannot be responsible for these events.
- All routing information is given as an indication and can be modified without notice depending on the circumstances, weather conditions, local availability and any needs for change.
The consumption of alcohol is strictly prohibited during the trip.
By signing up for this tour, you are accepting (or even seeking) to be taken out of your “comfort zone”, an inevitable part of any trip to Java.
For children under the age of 14, our guides will decide, depending on volcanic and weather conditions, whether they are allowed to descend into the crater. (However, the access to the top of the volcano is unregulated.)
Meeting point and departure (Bali South):
|Gusto Gelato Café Jalan Mertanadi, Seminyak/Kerobokan
Meeting time Day 1: 1pm
Arrival time Day 2: around 9pm
Meeting point and departure (Ubud):
|Coco Supermarket Jalan Raya Pengosekan, Ubud,
Meeting time Day 1: 2p.m (+/- 30 min)
Arrival time Day 2: around 8 p.m.
We can pick up you also FOR FREE from: Munduk, Pemuteran, Gilimanuk or Probolinggo.
We can arrange transportation from your hotel:
Same price for your pick up (before excursion) or your drop off (after the excursion)
|Seminyak, Kuta, Canggu||150 000rp (+/-$10usd) for 1 to 4 persons|
|Sanur, Jimbaran, Ubud*||200 000rp (+/-$15usd) for 1 to 4 persons|
|Nusa Dua, Bukit||300 000rp (+/-$20usd) for 1 to 4 persons|
* Transfer from your hotel to the meeting point in Ubud (Coco Supermarket Center )
Please notice in the comments on your booking form for this service.
If you have any type of special request, please send us a message and we will get back to you as quickly as possible in order to meet your specific needs.