24 hours at Kawah Ijen
Book "24 hours at Kawah Ijen"
Fill out the form below to calculate the cost of the tour
“24 hours at Kawah Ijen” is an incredible trip to the most breathtaking volcano in Indonesia.
Get yourself ready to experience a journey to another planet!
Prepare to go on a non-stop adventure to the most unique place on Earth! Just imagine yourself climbing under the stars up to the volcano crater and then making your way down to witness the mesmerizing and unique “blue flames” phenomenon and the extraction of sulfur in the mine.
Imagine yourself admiring the world’s largest volcanic acid lake while witnessing a beautiful sunrise from inside the volcano! You will remember these moments for the rest of your life!
A delicious traditional breakfast will be prepared for you by a Javanese family in the village on the flanks of the volcano.
WHY VISIT KAWAH IJEN?
To witness the unique and magical “blue flames” inside the active volcano crater
To discover the world’s biggest acid lake in the morning light
To observe the extreme conditions under which the sulfur miners work on site
Things you might miss out on if you travel to Java on your own
Let’s share some thoughts regarding the independent visit of Bromo and Kawah Ijen.
We are a team of adventurers, and it goes without saying that we love to travel on our own. However, when discovering an unknown and potentially accident-prone site for the first time, caution is required in preparing such an endeavor. In this region of Java, you will struggle to understand and be understood, even when it comes to the basics, since English speakers are rare and far between (and French, Russian and other languages are not at all represented).
Let us be this friend, who will take care about all organizational issues and turn your trip into the real adventure of a lifetime:
Though certain independent travelers and bloggers have managed to organize trips without encountering major problems, it must be understood that this is not a reflection of the potential risks linked to active volcano visits, which require both knowledge and experience to plan. Having been able to make the trip on one’s own without running into problems does not take anything away from the hazardousness of undertaking such an endeavor alone and/or without any experience. “Driving a motorcycle without a helmet does not systematically lead to the death of the reckless person driving, but should that person wipe out, the potential risk would be dramatic!” recounts the wise Indonesian man in charge of preparing the climbing equipment.
To minimize the risks linked to volcanic excursions and substantially save both time and money, it is essential that you be supported by a team that perfectly knows the region, its customs and languages, as well as its norms and culture.
Let us be the guide that will take care of every single important organizational detail of your visit, and that will allow you to make this tour into a truly unforgettable human adventure.
- We are familiar with every inch of the Bromo and Kawah Ijen, their surroundings, their dangers… but also every man that works and lives there. Our professional guides will take you to the best places at the best times, to witness the best views, while choosing the safest routes and sharing their deep knowledge of the volcanoes, their history and their geology.
- We organize tours in a way that guarantees your comfort and safety. Each member of our team is perfectly trained to react professionally and provide you with appropriate help during whatever situation is encountered during the excursion.
- We will take care of every detail of your adventure so that you are able to focus on yourself and the feelings generated by the experience.
Beyond our passion for volcanoes, we organize our trips in a professional and secure manner, while seeking to provide you with the utmost comfort. Our outstanding guides will accompany you along the entire hike, taking care of all of the organizational issues and sharing their know-how, knowledge and experience with you along the way.
* We reserve the right to authorize or refuse children aged 14 or under to descend into the crater based on the specific conditions of the volcano during the visit.
Part 1 – Transfer to Java
We will start our trip in the evening (5:00 p.m.) in a comfortable car or minibus from South Bali (possibility of pick up in Ubud around 6:30 p.m.)
After a few hours driving through Balinese landscapes, we will take a ferry to Java and continue on our way through traditional Javanese landscapes.
We will arrive at the Kawah Ijen base camp at an altitude of 1,900 m around midnight, where we will meet our guides, receive instructions and be provided with headlights and masks.
Part 2 – Night hike
Our ascent will start around 1 a.m. Our experienced guides will lead us along the beautiful mountain road under the starry sky.
It will take us approximately 1 and a half to 2 hours to get to the top of the volcano crater.
Part 3 – Conquering the volcano crater
Once we get to the top of the volcano (2,300 m), the most exciting part awaits us. In complete darkness and armed only with torches, we will descend into the crater of the active volcano to witness the unique phenomenon known as the “blue flames”.
Our guides, made up of former sulfur mine bearers and miners, will help everyone complete a slow descent to the entrails of the earth in a safe manner.
Take your time to relax and adjust yourself to this surreal scene: enjoy the sunrise over the world’s largest, stunning turquoise acid lake, and witness the labor of the workers carrying huge sulfur blocks on their shoulders up to the crater rim.
Part 4 – Daylight scenery on the way back
Around 6-7 a.m., we will start our descent back to the base camp. Our first challenge was making our way up to the crater rim; the second challenge is completing the descent of the stratovolcano through forest paths.
Part 5 – Breakfast and drive back to Bali
Full of energy and unforgettable memories, we will start our drive back to Bali.
On the way, we will stop to enjoy a delicious buffet-style Javanese breakfast prepared by a local family living on the flanks of the volcano. After the ferry ride from Java to Bali, we will arrive back to the starting point of our incredible journey around 5-6 p.m.
Upon returning, we can guarantee that you will feel physically tired, but this will quickly pass, leaving you to enjoy the unforgettable and lifelong memories you have made.
Book your trip now
To live out this adventure, all you need to do is choose your dates, get a price rate and register for the tour as quickly as possible – the seats are filling up fast!
Prices for the 24 hour trip to Kawah Ijen: 1 person: $130 / €120 / IDR 1 890 000.
The tour package includes:
- Transportation (comfortable car or mini bus);
- Legal insurance for tourist activity;
- Ferry (round trip);
- Entrance fee to Kawah Ijen;
- Professional guide service during the Kawah Ijen climb;
- Free lamps, gloves, respirators and masks
- Warms clothes are provided for free upon request;
- Javanese breakfast ("all you can eat").
The tour package excludes:
- Your own insurance;
- Food and drinks outside of what is mentioned above;
- Personal expenses;
- Tips for guides and drivers.
The consumption of alcohol is strictly prohibited during the trip.
Private trips, special requests & other questions
Whether you are planning a non-standard trip (in terms of the date, place of pick up or drop off, specific needs or preferences, etc.), you prefer to travel independently and not within a group, or your budget doesn’t allow you to take part in our extraordinary tour, contact us so that we may find an alternative option for you.
- Pick up and drop off at your place*;
- Private driver;
- Private comfortable car;
- Private professional guides at volcanoes;
- Ability to bring your luggage during the trip.
1 or 2 persons: 5 990 000rp or 390€ or 450$
3 persons: 8 390 000rp or 550€ or 590$
4 persons: 9 990 000rp or 660€ or 720$
For more than 4 persons, please send a request
For your Private trip, we can provide for you, during 24h, a teammate speaking English or Russian or french: Additional cost 1 590 000rp or 100€ or $110 *available at Denpasar, Kuta, Seminyak, Canggu, Ubud, Munduk, Pemuteran. For other places, on request.
Send us an inquiry and we will do our best to meet your expectations.
Things to bring with you:
Volcanic temperatures can range from +2 to +25 degrees. That’s why we highly recommend that you think about your own comfort in advance. Consider bringing the following:
- a pair of sports or hiking shoes;
- warm clothes (long pants, scarf, jacket, beanie, hat);
- an extra set of clothes to change into after the hike (T-shirt, socks, etc.);
- rainwear and wet wipes (you can buy these in any store or gas station);
- a cap, a hat or a beanie;
- a small backpack for the climb;
- an ID card (or a copy).
*Masks, respirators, gloves, lamps and warm clothes will be provided for free before the climb.
- Due to the high volcanic activity of Kawah Ijen and weather conditions, the possibility of descent into the crater can be limited and always determined by the management of the national park every day separately. Anyway, you will have an unforgettable impression from the rim of the volcano, or from inside the crater, with the sunrise above the biggest acid lake in the world, and sulfur mine.
- Even though you are covered by our tourism insurance, we strongly advise that you be individually insured under a personal travel insurance.
- No additional costs; you only need to cover your own personal expenses, food and drinks, and tips for drivers and guides.
- The consumption of alcohol is strictly prohibited during the trip.
- Please understand that there will not be any allocated sleeping or rest time during this 24-hour trip. You will be able to sleep and rest during the transportation time inside the car or minibus, during the ferry transfers and during the downtime at the base camp, if the schedule permits.
- Our company is guided by safety and prevention objectives, and we reserve the right to act at our discretion and in an appropriate manner in the event of unforeseen situations that may arise during the trip. Amounts already paid for the trip cannot be returned.
- In the event of an eruption or risk of eruption, or of any natural reason "outside our control", the decisions taken by the members or the management of the company will not be able in any case to generate a refund of the sums committed, the company cannot be responsible for these events.
MEETING POINT: Gusto Gelato Café
Jalan Mertanadi Seminyak/Kerobokan South Bali
Possibility of pick up at Ubud.
MEETING TIME: 5 pm (17h00) (Day 1)
ARRIVAL TIME: around 6 pm (18h00) (Day 2)
Possibility of pick up at Ubud (No aditional cost).
*If you would like to join the tour from Java, we can pick you up at Banyuwangi (East Java) around 10-11 p.m (no additional cost).
To join (or leave) our Meeting Point, we can arrange transportation from your place:
From Seminyak, Kuta, Canggu: 150 000rp (+/-$10usd) for 1 to 4 persons.
From Sanur, Jimbaran: 2000 000rp (+/-$15usd) for 1 to 4 persons.
From Nusa Dua, Bukit: 300 000rp (+/-$20usd) for 1 to 4 persons.
Same price for your pick up ( before the excursion) or your drop off (after the excursion).
Please notice in comments on your booking form for this service.
*For children under the age of 14, our guides will decide, depending on volcanic and weather conditions, whether they are allowed to descend into the crater. (However, the access to the top of the volcano is unregulated.)
If you have any type of special request, please send us a message and we will get back to you as quickly as possible in order to meet your specific needs.