DV 3 days on Java: Surabaya - Bromo - Kawah Ijen - Bali
Book “BROMO / IJEN”
Fill out the form below to calculate the cost of the tour
DV 3 Days on Java:
Trip to amazing volcanoes Bromo and Kawah Ijen
Surabaya - Bromo - Kawah Ijen - Bali
This trip is a great adventure that will take you to the amazing Bromo and Semeru volcanoes, as well as the fantastic Kawah Ijen complex.
The journey starts at sea level and gradually brings you up to an altitude of 2,300 meters. During this trip, you will climb stunning active volcanoes, dance at the edge of the calderas and descend into the Kawah Ijen crater to witness its magical “blue flames”, a unique phenomenon, as well as the largest sulfur acid lake in the world. You will also be able to observe the daily lives of the sulfur mine workers within the crater.
You will get to visit two of the top ten most fascinating volcanoes in the world during this tour.
You will see much more than volcanoes
You will get to visit two of the top ten most fascinating volcanoes in the world during this tour.
Why visit Bromo and Kawah Ijen?
To witness an epic sunrise from the grandiose caldera of the Tenger-Bromo super volcano
To hear the roar of the Earth while balancing on the edge of an active volcano crater
To start your trip from Surabaya and finish it to Bali and so visit the most amazing places in East Java.
Things you might miss out on if you travel to Java on your own
Let’s share some thoughts regarding the independent visit of Bromo and Kawah Ijen.
We are a team of adventurers, and it goes without saying that we love to travel on our own. However, when discovering an unknown and potentially accident-prone site for the first time, caution is required in preparing such an endeavor. In this region of Java, you will struggle to understand and be understood, even when it comes to the basics since English speakers are rare and far between (and French, Russian and other languages are not at all represented).
Though certain independent travelers and bloggers have managed to organize trips without encountering major problems, it must be understood that this is not a reflection of the potential risks linked to active volcano visits, which require both knowledge and experience to plan. Having been able to make the trip on one’s own without running into problems does not take anything away from the hazardousness of undertaking such an endeavor alone and/or without any experience. “Driving a motorcycle without a helmet does not systematically lead to the death of the reckless person driving, but should that person wipe out, the potential risk would be dramatic!” recounts the wise Indonesian man in charge of preparing the climbing equipment.
To minimize the risks linked to volcanic excursions and substantially save both time and money, it is essential that you be supported by a team that perfectly knows the region, its customs and languages, as well as its norms and culture.
Let us be the guide that will take care of every single important organizational detail of your visit, and that will allow you to make this tour into a truly unforgettable human adventure.
- We are familiar with every inch of the Bromo and Kawah Ijen, their surroundings, their dangers… but also every man that works and lives there. Our professional guides will take you to the best places at the best times, to witness the best views, while choosing the safest routes and sharing their deep knowledge of the volcanoes, their history, and their geology.
- We organize tours in a way that guarantees your comfort and safety. Each member of our team is perfectly trained to react professionally and provide you with appropriate help during whatever situation is encountered during the excursion.
- We will take care of every detail of your adventure so that you are able to focus on yourself and the feelings generated by the experience.
Beyond our passion for volcanoes, we organize our trips in a professional and secure manner, while seeking to provide you with the utmost comfort. Our outstanding guides will accompany you along the entire hike, taking care of all of the organizational issues and sharing their know-how, knowledge, and experience with you along the way.
We do our best to be that magic friend who will turn your trip into the real adventure of a lifetime. Apart from our passion for volcanoes, we arrange the trips that are professionally managed, comfortable and safe. Our outstanding guide will accompany you along the whole hike, taking care of all organizational issues and sharing diverse knowledge and experience about everything you might see on the way.
Day 1 — Shuttle to Bromo
Meeting at Surabaya (Train station or airport) at 6 pm and transfer by a comfortable car to Bromo’s village, situated 2300 meters above sea level. There we will have dinner in a traditional Indonesian restaurant — warung, — and spend the night in a cozy little guesthouse.
Day 2 — Bromo
Our journey begins with a 3:30 a.m. wake-up call and departure aboard an off-road 4x4 jeep. We will climb to the top of the Tenger-Bromo caldera to reach the “King-Kong” viewpoint (elevation: 2,650 m.)
At the viewpoint platform, we will witness a stunning sunrise over the following volcanoes:
Bromo (active, elevation: 2,300 m)
Batok (dormant, elevation: 2,400 m)
Semeru (active and erupting, elevation: 3,677 m, the tallest volcano in Java)
After enjoying the beautiful view (and depending on the weather conditions), we will cross the “sea of sand” (mostly made up of the volcanic ashes and debris of prior eruptions) and head to the sacred Hindu temples at the foot of the spectacular Bromo and Batok volcanoes.
Making our way around the temples dedicated to the gods living inside the crater, we will go up a steep and narrow path and climb 250 steps to reach the top of the Bromo. Only then, stunned by the sounds coming from the entrails of the Earth, and in the cold of the night, will we be able to experience the beauty of the smoking crater, its sulfur vapors emanating from the depths of the volcano. A truly unforgettable moment!
After exploring this extraordinary volcanic site, we will continue on our adventure, witnessing magnificent landscapes, traditional villages, various plantations (coffee, tobacco, rice, etc.), and authentic moments of the Javanese lifestyle in this beautiful volcanic region. We will enjoy a meal of local delicacies before making our way to the hotel.
Day 3 - Conquering the Kawah Ijen
Departure at +/- 11 p.m. (Day 2) for a 2 hours transfer to the Kawah Ijen base camp. After receiving instructions on safety and following the allocation of the necessary equipment (lamps, gas masks, etc.), we will start the climb at around 1 a.m. Our experienced and professional guides will lead you along a beautiful mountain path under the starry sky in order to reach the top of the crater (elevation: 2,300 m). It will take us between 1:30 and 2 hours to reach the top.
Once at the top of the crater, the most exciting part begins: we will descend, in complete darkness, into the crater of the active volcano to witness the unique phenomenon of the “blue flames”.
Our guides principally made up of former sulfur miners and porters and therefore very knowledgeable about the crater will help you descend safely. They will exercise constant vigilance and make sure you are using the protective masks appropriately, providing you with constant help and guidance within this extremely spectacular environment.
At +/- 5 a.m., watching the sunrise above the largest acid lake in the world will complete this extraordinary adventure. We will take the time to appreciate the surreal scene surrounding us, enjoying the sunrise above the stunning turquoise lake while watching the brave workers carry huge sulfur blocks on their shoulders up to the crater rim!
Around 6-7 a.m., we will descend from this incredible location and head back to the base camp (elevation: 1,900 m). In the light of the day, you will be able to appreciate the beautiful trail that led to the caldera of the stratovolcano. Filled with its energy and the morning’s unique impressions, we will gently make our way down the slopes of the volcano and enjoy a breakfast specially prepared by a local Javanese family. Following a ferry ride from Java to Bali, we will follow the North road at Bali (Pemuteran and Munduk), then Ubud and our final destination in the South of Bali (arrival at +/- 6 p.m.)
Upon returning, we can guarantee that you will feel physically tired, but that this feeling will quickly pass and give way to the joy of the new memories you will get to cherish for the rest of your life.
Book a spot
To take part in this adventure, all you need to do is check the dates and the rates, and register for the tour as quickly as possible before spots run out. As the number of seats is limited, it is recommended that you reserve your spot as early as possible.
Tour rates: DV 3 days on Java (per person)
US$ 320; €290; RP 4 490 000
ALL INCLUDED (check details bellow)
The tour package includes:
- Transportation (comfortable car or van);
- Legal insurance for tourist activity;
- Ferry Java-Bali (Day 3);
- Entrances fees (Bromo, Kawah Ijen);
- Jeep and driver at Bromo;
- Professional guide service;
- Provision of lamps, masks, respirators, gloves, and warm clothes;
- Accommodation at Bromo. Based on 2 people maximum sharing (for solo travelers, 1 pax per room). Local standard, hot water only at Bromo, towels, and soap are not provided);
- Meals and drinks (organic, local Javanese cuisine) pre-ordered according our experience and can’t be changed. Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required. Food and drinks for your personal choice outside of pre- ordered meals are not included and have to be paid separately.
First day – dinner.
Second day – breakfast, lunch and dinner (picnic).
Third day – ““All you can eat”-style breakfast prepared by a traditional Javanese family.
The tour package excludes:
- Your own insurance;
- Food and drinks outside of meals;
- Personal expenses;
- Tips for guides and drivers.
The consumption of alcohol is strictly prohibited during the trip.
Private trips, special requests & other questions
Whether you are planning a non-standard trip (in terms of the date, place of pick up or drop off, specific needs or preferences, etc.), you would prefer to travel independently and not within a group, or your budget doesn’t allow you to take part in our extraordinary tour, contact us so that we may find an alternative option for you.
- pick up at your hotel at Surabaya and drop off at your hotel at Bali *;
- private driver;
- private comfortable car;
- private professional guides at volcanoes;
- ability to bring your luggage during the trip.
1 or 2 persons: 10 990 000 rp or 720€ or 790$
3 persons: 15 990 000 rp or 990€ or 1140$
4 persons: 19 990 000 rp or 1290€ or 1430$
for more than 4 persons, please send a request.
*Drop off possible at Denpasar, Kuta, Seminyak, Canggu, Ubud, Munduk and Pemuteran. For other places, on request.
Send us an inquiry and we will do our best to meet your expectations.
Altitude temperatures at the top of the volcanoes (2,300 m) can range from +2 to +25 degrees. We therefore highly recommend that you come adequately equipped.
- You will need a pair of sports or hiking shoes and warm clothes (jacket, rainwear, sweatshirts, fleece, beanie, etc.) You will also need to bring some toiletries with you (tissues and toilet paper).
- There will be a variety of local winter hats on sale at the Bromo base camp, available at very low prices.
- Additional items will be provided for free upon request: jackets, lamps, protective masks, scarves, gloves, hats and rainwear.
- Even though you are covered by our tourism insurance, we strongly advise that you be individually insured under a personal travel insurance.
- No additional costs; you only need to cover your own personal expenses, food and drinks outside of meals, and tips for drivers and guides.
- Our company is guided by safety and prevention objectives, and we reserve the right to act at our discretion and in an appropriate manner in the event of unforeseen situations that may arise during the trip. Amounts already paid for the trip cannot be returned.
- In the event of an eruption or risk of eruption, or of any natural reason "outside our control", the decisions taken by the members or the management of the company will not be able in any case to generate a refund of the sums committed, the company cannot be responsible for these events.
- All routing information is given as an indication and can be modified without notice depending on the circumstances, weather conditions, local availability and any needs for change.
- The consumption of alcohol is strictly prohibited during the trip.
By signing up for this tour, you are accepting (or even seeking) to be taken out of your “comfort zone”, an inevitable part of any trip to Java.