Amazing Bromo area from air: maps and explanations
1) Initial way of Tengger volcano Lava
2) «Bromo village » Cemara Lawang (+/- 2300m altitude)
3) Sunrise viewpoint (+/- 2750m altitude)
4) Mount Batok (2470 m altitude)
5) Bromo volcano (active : +/- 2300m altitude) (Last eruption: 2016)
6) Sea sand and volcanoes field
7) Semeru volcano (active, eruptive, +/- 3670m altitude) (In eruption since 1967) Highest volcano at Java
1) The “lava way”: when Tengger was a super volcano, (very long time ago, we are speaking about millions of years ago) the lava from the volcano used to go by this side. Now, it’s the main road to climb to Cemoro Lawang, the “Bromo village”. On the way to the top, you can see, on the side of the road, the different layers of lava of these old eruptions.
2) Cemoro Lawang (also known as Cemorolawang, Cemora Lawang or Cemara Lawang) is the last village on Bromo. At 2217m altitude, it’s the starting village to visit Bromo. Most of the people living there are Hindu. Place of all accommodations, very cold during the night. Also, a nice viewpoint to see Batok and Bromo at sunset.
3) Sunrise Viewpoint: Penanjakan viewpoint. At 2700m altitude, it’s the highest point of the “old” Tengger caldera. Early morning, visitors come to this point to wait for the sunrise in front of “the field of volcanoes”. It’s very cold at morning if it’s windy, it’s really freezing. So many people use to be there so better to prefer and choose some others viewpoints without so many tourists. (ask Indotravelteam, they know where to be at the right time ).
4) Batok (or Mount Batok) is about 2470m altitude. It’s a dormant volcano. It had erupted a few centuries ago. Many people confused about Batok and Bromo because Batok is an emblematic picture of volcano profile in this fantastic site. From the 2 Hindu temples, its take around 1h to climb to the top: Hard climb.
5) Gunung Bromo (2329m). The name of this volcano come from “Brama” the Hindu God. The legend explains than Brama created the universe inside this volcano! Bromo is on the top 10 of the most interesting volcanoes in the world! More or less, Bromo is in eruption every 5 years (the last eruption was dec2015 to April 2016). To climb to the top of the crater you need to climb at least, 250 steps… You can take a small horse to help you for the first part of the ascent but the horse will not climb the steps: It will be YOUR challenge!
6) Sea sand and volcanoes field: The Sea sand is 11 km long and its, a protected nature reserve since 1919. Before the sea sand was a lake and nobody knows why and how the water going out ) Volcanoes field: Mount Cemorolawang (2,227 m), Mount Lingker (2,278 m), Mount Pundak Lembu (2,635 m), Mount Jantur (2,705 m), Mount Ider-ider (2,527 m) and Mount Mungal (2,480 m). All these volcanoes are inside the caldera of Tengger, the Super Volcano. All are sleeping and some have a lake inside the crater.
7) Semeru (3676m) (another name: Mahameru (The Great Mountain) It’s the highest volcano at Java. Semeru is a stratovolcano with, during the eruption, both lava flows and pyroclastic flows Since 1067, Semeru is in eruption's of smoke, stones and hashes every +/- 20 minutes. It’s a very hard and also very dangerous climb to go to the top.